Monday, May 18, 2020

This time of pandemic brings my mother's young life closer to me, now, as I'm about to turn 72 in a week or so and we are living in such a difficult time.



                          my mother, Jeanette Barclay Brown (née Vinnicombe),on the left - her toes in the sun


                           mum, on the left, in February 1952

In the late 1940s, the Commonwealth Government Health Department took over the Heatherton Sanatorium in Cheltenham, Melbourne, in order to address a tuberculosis epidemic.In the early 1950s, the increase in the number of people suffering from tuberculosis created a need for additional beds. To alleviate overcrowding at Heatherton two new modern hospital blocks were built on the site. One was known as "North Block", where female patients were accommodated and the other was called "South Block" where male patients were housed. Children infected with tuberculosis were hospitalised in Wing 2. The sanatorium housed around 300 tuberculosis patients. A five-storey nurses’ home was built. Tuberculosis reached its peak in the late 1950’s and the patient intake was on the decline by 1958.

My mother was one of the long term tuberculosis patients. She was in her 30s. She had surgery to remove the damaged upper lobe from one of her lungs. These are photos of mum in confinement in 1952 - getting some outdoor sun and air (with other women, several of whom became her lifelong friends). She would send cheerful photos to me and my brother and sister. I only knew mum from photographs and felt toys that she made and would send me. My brother and sister lived with our maternal grandparents. At this time my dad was oceans away for some years in the U.K. obtaining a military promotion. I lived with my paternal great aunt and uncle in Brisbane from the age of 18 months until I was six. When we reunited, in spite of her trials (& whatever unknown troubles to come), the mother I met was determined to look after & nurture us kids. I loved her dearly.

                                               Pam Brown, Sydney, 18th May 2020


click on the photos to enlarge